I did, just yesterday! You see there’s a tube strike on in London at the moment and so the world and his wife (or monk) are trying to find other ways to get around town. As we have the delightful Boris Bike alot of people are choosing to use them. The sad fact is though that alot of these people show no road or bike sense at all so I thought I’d observe and complie a list of stupid, silly, outrageous things I’ve observed over the the week so let’s start with the monk on a bike…
1) Monk on a bike, robes flowing behind him almost getting caught up in the back wheel. Next time I’ll suggest he hitch his robes up & tuck them into his pants, that’s if he wears pants, not too sure what the monk rule on this would be?
2) Woman in a short skirt (I’m sure she was wearing pants but to he honest I didn’t look)
3) Woman wearing designer high heels – yes I looked, what can I say they were gorgeous but not on a bike.
4) Man wearing espadrilles – nuff said.
5) Lots of people NOT wearing helmets – seriously, if you’re not gonna wear a helmet don’t fall off in front of me, I do not want to be left on brain detail.
6) Man carrying a Tubor…or it could’ve been a french horn, I’m not really into brass instruments to be honest so it could’ve been either.
7) Man with long flowing locks & and even longer flowing beard. Nothing wrong with this apart from the fact that I really wanted to shout ‘Quick, look busy Jesus is coming!’
8) Man in flip flops – I’m saying nothing apart from road rash, no toe nails = ouch!
9) Pedestrians not looking – fine, go ahead, walk out into the road without looking to see if I’m charging along on my bike!
10) Bike users randomly stopping…without checking to see if anyone is behind them – that was interesting
11) Bike users turning left or right without indicating, just drifting along in thier own little world completely oblivious as to what’s going on around them.
12) Woman with a mobile phone held to her ear by a headscarf having a conversation whilst cycling – I kid you not!
13) People, just loads of people cycling along with ear phones on listening to music. That’s 20% of your senses lost, gone, vamoosh! Good Luck.
14) Trying to text/read a text…whilst
cycling. I’m saying nothing.
15) A lady on a Pashley wobbling along in the middle of the road in rush hour wearing a straw hat, linen dress, & strappy Sandels.
A particular favourite of mine were dapper gents in their designer suits & Italian brogues huffing & puffing whilst trying to cycle through the rush hour traffic, a slight glow to their red faces.